Tall people are usually encouraged by their family and friends to try modeling. Such type of encouragement is rarely or never given to short people. If you are short and you believe that you have what it takes to be a model, it can be frustrating not to get any support from anyone.
Because of this, you may give up your dream of being in front of the camera and look for a different career path, including one that you are not passionate about.
So, can a short person be a model? There are different types of modeling. It is true that fashion and runway modeling is dominated by tall people. However, the same cannot be said for the other types of modeling. It is possible for a short person to enter the world of commercial, swimsuit, fitness, and parts modeling, just to name a few.
Make sure that you keep on reading this article until you reach its very end. Below you will come across some of the reasons why you can be a model even if you are short.
If you know some people who would like to model but are short, please share this on social media later on. The following will let them realize that they should pursue their modeling dream despite not getting enough support from anyone around them.
Why Some Models Need to be Tall
Especially if you want to be a fashion or runway model, it is important that you are tall. According to modeling agencies themselves, women have to be between 5 feet and 9 inches and 6 feet to work as fashion or runway models.
Men, on the other hand, need to be between 5 feet and 11 inches and 6 feet and 3 inches.
The reason why tall people make for some of the best fashion and runway models is that designer clothes look better on them. This is why mannequins used at department stores and boutiques are statuesque.
However, as always, there are exceptions to the rule. There are many successful fashion and runway models who are shorter than everybody else in the industry.
The following people are proofs that you don’t have to be within the height range required to be seen in fashion magazines and on catwalks:
- Lily-Rose Depp: 5″3′ tall
- Devon Aoki: 5″5′
- Laetitia Casta: 5″6′
- Liberty Ross: 5″6′
- Lottie Moss: 5″6′
- Sofia Richie: 5″6′
- Kara Delevingne: 5″7′
- Kate Moss: 5″7′
- Rose Bertram: 5″7′
- Adwoa Aboah: 5″8′
These female fashion and runway models are shorter than their peers. However, it didn’t stop them from being known all over the planet. Each has something special about them that makes up for their lack of height.
If you want to be a successful fashion or runway model, even though you are short, check that you have something unique to offer.
Knowing the Different Types of Modeling
Even though you are a short person, there is never a shortage of modeling types that you may get into. As a matter of fact, you may even try your luck at becoming a fashion or runway model.
Just like what we talked about earlier, some fashion or runway models are short. However, there is something special about them, and that is why fashion designers and modeling agencies do not mind that they are not tall enough.
Stepping foot in the world of modeling, however, can be easier if you choose a type of modeling other than fashion or runway. Here are some modeling types where it doesn’t matter if you are short:
- Commercial modeling. What’s nice about being a commercial model is that you can work in the retail, print, and television industry. Aside from the height, many other things are not limiting factors in commercial modeling. You can be a commercial model if you are young or old, or if you are thin or plus-size.
- Swimsuit modeling. Do you have fantastic curves? Do your legs look long? Then you may give modeling lingerie or swimsuits a try. However, you will have to feel confident and beautiful in your own skin. Otherwise, you may not look convincing, and it can keep you from selling the product.
- Fitness modeling. For as long as you are fit, athletic, and energetic, there is an opportunity for you to be a fitness model. As the name suggests, it will require you to model things related to health and fitness. Some of them include fitness gyms, exercise machines, workout clothes, and supplements.
- Parts modeling. Put simply, parts models are those that specialize in modeling some of their body parts. The arms, hands, legs, and feet are some common examples. For instance, if you have beautiful hands, you can model nail care products. If you have smooth legs, you can model a shaving cream or waxing product.
The first step that you will have to take to be in any of the modeling types mentioned above is to send applications to the right modeling agencies and wait for one of them to hire you.
It is a good idea to avoid applying to fashion or runway modeling agencies. That’s because they are very traditional, which means that you will have to be tall to be hired. But if you feel that you can impress these agencies with your looks and personality, feel free to give them a try.
Having What It Takes to Succeed
Contrary to popular belief, not all people who are tall and attractive can be models. According to modeling agencies themselves, there are various traits that a person will need to have to be a successful model. You can be statuesque and beautiful, alright but, if you don’t have those traits, you may never make it big.
The following are some of the traits that the most successful models on the planet have:
- Persistence. Most of today’s top models have been refused by many modeling agencies before. However, they did not give up. You may not reap success in the world of modeling if you quit easily. Keep in mind that there are thousands of people who want to be models, too, and you will have to compete with them.
- Confidence. It is normal to feel anxious. However, what isn’t normal when it comes to modeling is not having confidence. Especially if you are modeling a product, you should believe in yourself to be able to sell it. Being shy and doubting yourself can keep you from turning heads towards your direction.
- Diligence. Even though the world of modeling is glamorous, models have to work hard. This is especially true for those who are known all over the planet. For instance, many of them are always flying from one continent to the other. If you do not like to work hard, modeling agencies say, you are likely to fail as a model.
- Passionate. Speaking of flying, you will not be able to spend much time with your family and friends should you make it big in the modeling industry. That is just one of the sacrifices that you will have to make. If you are passionate about modeling, you will have to be willing to give up certain things in your life.
If you have all of the traits mentioned above, then you have what it takes to be a successful model. It’s not enough that you look like a model. It is also important that you act and think like a model.
Just Before You Apply to a Modeling Agency
By now, you may already know that there is no need for you to be tall to be a model. With many different types of modeling other than fashion and runway, you can pursue your dream to be a successful model. The journey will begin the minute that you send applications to the right modeling agencies.
Although some types of modeling do not require you to be tall, it still requires you to have the traits of a good model. For instance, you will need to have enough confidence to be able to grab attention and sell the product.
Despite what many people may be telling you, it is possible to be a model even if you are not tall. Being short should not keep you from turning your dream into reality. If you want to be a model, do the necessary steps, and make it happen. Just remember that you should opt for a type of modeling where height doesn’t matter.
Who is the shortest model to have walked the runway at the London Fashion Week? During the 2019 London Fashion Week, Sayda Hartoonian walked on the runway. She’s only 5″3′ tall.
Do models lie about their height? Modeling agencies are known to lie about the height of their models. They make their short models taller, and their very tall models shorter. Models are usually known to lie about their age.
Photo credit: ©canva.com/eduardolopezcoronadophoto
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made on our website. If you make a purchase through links from this website, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure.